Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Rant: How much Christmas spirit is too much Christmas spirit?

I'm all for decking the halls and stringing up some Christmas lights, but there are a few houses around us that are completely out of control. One house in particular comes to mind. There are so many inflatable Christmas creatures, fake sleighs being pulled by mechanical reindeer, giant snow globes, ridiculously sacrilegious character nativity scenes (isn't anyone else out there disturbed by Scooby Doo dressed up like a wiseman?), and crazy wooden cutouts that there isn't an inch of lawn showing anywhere around the house. The "lawn ornaments" are practically stacked on top of each other.  It looks like the lawn and garden sections at Home Depot and Lowe's threw up all over the place. 

I would take some pictures, but I'm quite sure that the immense amount of light all their Christmas spirit is giving off would result in my camera totally imploding as it tried to figure out what was going on (that is if my camera wasn't already currently broken...sniff, sniff)--plus without a wide angle lens, this sight really couldn't be fully appreciated. I'm really impressed at how much these folks must be shelling out in extra $ to pay for the electricity to keep all these things lit up, turning, blown-up, and levitating all night long. One of these lawns alone probably uses more watts in one night than some small countries use in a whole month.

I promise I'm not anti-Christmas lawn decor. Really, I'm not. It's just that sometimes less really is more. And something about seeing a glowing 8 foot statue of a heavenly looking winged baby Jesus, propped right next to an equally huge inflatable Spongebob wearing a stocking hat and popping out of a chimney is just WRONG.

And no, this is not the particular house that I'm referring to, but it's a pretty good example of the going overboard that I'm talking about. Except, this one isn't quite tacky enough and there aren't enough fake religious figurines...

7 comments:

Jessica the Jacked LDS said...

how did u get a picture of my house all the way in NC?

blindblogger said...

That's incredible.

Andrea said...

Oh, I am so with you on this. I think there's a house like that in every neighborhood. (Maybe not to that extreme, but...)

It's ridiculous.

Deanna said...

Oh come one...don't try to hide the fact that you wish your house looked like the one pictured. You're just trying to make yourself feel better by bashing your fellow over-the toppers.

That house somewhat reminds me of my neighbor across the street in California. Only they kept the Christmas stuff up from Thanksgiving to well into January. And then the valentines decorations started, followed by the St. Patricks Day stuff....covering the yard. Craziness!

Travis and Jamie said...

Oh, but those are the houses that Kiddos LOVE when you drive around to look at lights. Without those crazy people, kids would just fall asleep. Oh, wait, that IS the point isn't it!

Laura said...

Ok. I've been chastened--Maddie saw that picture and said, "wow. that house is so pretty." maybe that'll be our yard next year...

Shauna said...

I'm new here! What a great blog :)