Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Rave: First Day of School

I'm interrupting the Saturday posts to scratch the grandparents' itch to see how the first day of school went. (Although by their outfits you probably thought it was the 4th of July. Nope. Purely accidental.) The kids were SOOO excited, which made it alot easier for me to send them off for such a long school day. They had already met their teachers, taken their supplies, and seen their classes and desks so they didn't have any anxiety about all that. Alex had more anxiety about being seen posing for first day pictures in the front yard. You would've thought I asked him to wear a dress or eat lima beans for lunch. 2nd grade=2 cool for mom's sentimentality.

Jeremy took them to school (to avoid the scene we make when traveling as a herd) and although Maddie was cool with her smooch, he mortally embarrassed Alex by kissing him on the cheek in front of his friends. They rode the bus home together--I can see the school's playground from my front porch, so it's a short ride, but Maddie was so excited to finally get to ride it after watching Alex for two years. I told Alex he had to sit by her for at least the first day since she wouldn't know anyone else to sit by (I'm vicariously having anxiety for her about things she doesn't even have a clue she should be nervous about...like not having someone to sit by at lunch or on the bus. Can't wait for them to be in highschool--I'll be a nervous wreck.) Anyway, he was about to protest but lucky for him, he just nodded and said, "Well, maybe she can meet someone her age today."

The boys were awake (dang short naps) to wait for them outside on the porch so they could greet them as them tumbled out of the bus. Aidan was perplexed all morning about where they were. He kept telling me that "Alex. Maddie. At school." But then he'd ask me "Alex and Maddie. Sad?" "No, Alex and Maddie are happy to be at school," I told him. So the rest of the day and even today he keeps telling me, "Alex and Maddie at school. Happy. Me happy too." Maybe he isn't worried that they are happy at school, maybe he's just happy they're at school. Plus, he's learned that they'll share any treats they got at school with him when they come home.

A successful first day of "real school." Real versus preschool, I guess. She was most excited by her sticker proclaiming her "an official kindergartner". I was most excited that both her hair bows were still in her possession. They never have many details to report for me. "It was fun." "Fine." "Nice." "Good." That's all the answers my questions got before they ran off to play.

9 comments:

Keyo said...

very sweet indeed!

Kris said...

As long as they both wanted to go back today, what more can you ask for. I'm glad it went so smoothly. What a good kid Alex is; not many 2nd grade boys would sit next to their sisters on the bus.

Deanna said...

New tradition until Alex is a high school graduate...Jeremy must take him to school and kiss him on the cheek each year.

Love the festive clothing!

Hooray for school!!!!

Deanna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jessica the Jacked LDS said...

that is so sweet. i'm gonna make jake sit next to kora too, but probably the WHOLE year...I'm so lame.

i'm just like u tho, i'm nervous for so many reasons for kora and she could seriously care LESS.

Shaela said...

You can't go on a blogging strike. Your blog is too entertaining to go without!
I do like my mac. A lot. But it took a little getting used to at first like anything new...
Keep up the awesome blogging. You have a great writing style!

Unknown said...

My girls started 1st and kindergarted and they get to ride the bus for 30 minutes...the thoughts that go through my head when they are by themselves at school, alone...I'm a wreck! Then the boys snap me back into reality! YAY! for school though.

Sami said...

I love the look on Alex's face as he walks back to the house after getting off the bus! I think he was thinking: "Does she never stop? Haven't I endured enough?" Very cute.

Jill said...

I love that you kept the 4th of July theme going with the twins as well...didn't plan that one either...hmmm..I'm glad you are so patriotic. Everyone should have more of that on the first day of school!